Gardner Read doesn't mention this situation in his book Music Notation.
  Ted Ross doesn't show your specific example, either.

In my opinion the dotted rest should be used in both cases, since it
completes the beat clearly.  If it is okay to use it where the rest
comes first, then it is okay to use it if the note comes first.  In
either case it obscures the middle of the beat, which would be the only
reason to use a 16th rest and 8th rest then the note comes first.
Within a beat the fewer rests used the better.

Where a dotted 8th rest shouldn't be used is if it begins in one beat
and extends into another beat, such as (in 4/4) an 8th-note,
dotted-8th-rest, dotted-8th-note, half-note.  That hides the beginning
of the second beat and makes rhythmic clarity less certain.

Ken Durling wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I've been following the convention (?) of using a dotted eighth  rest
> when a sixteenth falls on the last sixteenth of the beat and the rest
> precedes it;  and when the sixteenth note is on the first of the beat,
> followed by rests, I've been using separate 1/16th and 1/8th rests.
>
> Someone is telling me that I should use dotted 1/8th rests in both
> cases.   Is there a right or wrong about this?  Somewhere along the
> line I learned that the way I'm doing it is the correct way.
>

> Ken

David H. Bailey