At 8:43 AM +0000 5/02/02, David H. Bailey wrote:
>Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>
>>At 10:08 PM +0000 5/01/02, David H. Bailey wrote:
>>
>>>And what international convention adopted this "rule?"  Which rule
>>>number is it, anyway, and what book can we llok it up in?
>>>
>>>If we are not ever to syncopate rests, then I gather that the following:
>>>16th-note/8th-rest/16th-note is never to be written?  What's up
>>>with that, it's written all the time.
>>>I very rarely see that syncopation written
>>>16th-note/16th-rest/16th-rest/16th-note.
>>

>>Yet you never see 1/4 note, 1/2 rest, 1/4 note.
>>

>Which is really curious because you often see 1/4 note, 1/2 note, 1/4 note.
>
>There seems to be no real "rule" which is always followed.  In the
>case of the 1/2 rest for beats 2 and 3 I can understand that people
>are trying to show the middle of the measure (in 4/4) yet that
>desire to show the middle of the measure is lacking when they use a
>1/2 note instead of a rest.
>
>Go figure!

The rule I learned is not to syncopate rests. 1/4 1/2 1/4 is fine for
notes, but not for rests because the 1/2 rest would be syncopated.
The other rule I learned about when to show a subdivision (like the
3rd beat in a bar of 4/4) is always show groups of 4 of the smallest
subdivision in the measure. We don't need to see the 3rd beat in this
example because the smallest subdivision is 1/4s, and we only need to
be able to see the first of 4. If the measure had 1/8ths, then we
would have to be able to see the 3rd beat. If the measure had 16ths,
then we would have to see every beat.

The non-syncopated rest rule supercedes the above rule.

That's how I learned it, and teach it. But as I pointed out before,
Clinton Roemer seems to allow an exception for dotted eighth rests
that he disallows for other rest values.