Christopher BJ Smith wrote

> Yet you never see 1/4 note, 1/2 rest, 1/4 note.

I went back last night and read the relevant passages in Read and Stone. (FWIW:
Stone is the closest thing I know of to a manual of internationally accepted
rules. It is the result of an international convention in the 1970s.) They
require careful reading, but the key point is that the rule against syncopated
rests applies to *beats*. Specifically, Read states that rests should not span a
beat, and gives right and wrong examples. (4n, 8r, 4r is one of the wrong
examples.)

Presumably, if the beat were in 8th notes, then 16th, dotted-8r would be wrong.
But if the beat is in quarter (or larger) notes, then Read expresses no
preference. Indeed, in the chapter on accents, one of his examples shows 16th
notes followed by dotted 8th rests in a 4/4 context. Another example shows 32nd
notes followed by 32r-16r, which is the opposite choice.

Ross apparently places a similar emphasis on rests not spanning a beat. See p.
179, "...in simple time the half and quater rest are never dotted." Ross is
silent about smaller-valued dotted rests, and his examples do not illustrate any.

The bottom line is that the most accepted authorities I know of express no
preference about dotted eighth and smaller dotted rests, when the beat is simple
time in quarter (or larger) note values. Any of 16n-8.r, 8.r-16n, 16n-16r-8r,
8r-16r-16n is equally acceptable.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com