Michael Lawlor writes:

>I would like to find out if there are alternative solutions to two
>situations likely to affect anyone setting liturgical music.
>
>1) Text underlay in Falsobordone.  i.e. multiple words under a single note.
>Add an additional layer with as many notes as there are words and then hide
>the layer.  Unfortunately it then becomes necessary to manually adjust the
>spacing for each bar in the system ('avoid collision of lyrics' does not
>seem to work when pushed to this limit) and the manual adjustment does not
>work very well, with variable distances between words.  It is so easy to
>make an adjustment that causes Finale to undo these manual changes.
>
>2) How to deal with the starting intonation.
>Currently I add an extra stave and additional bar (as long as is required
>with alternative noteheads to get black semibreves with no tails).  Then
>force a line break and optimise the systems to lose the rest of the parts,
>and then the intonation for the rest of the piece.  Then adjust the length
>of the line for the intonation so it does not take up the whole width of the
>page and look ridiculous.  Does anyone have a quicker method?

Dear Michael,

1) I'm assuming you are talking about "chanting note" situations.
What I've found works best for me is to enter the "multiple words" as
a text block assigned to the measure and use the Measure Tool and the
measure width handles to get the width I need. This means that I will
not allow these measures to have any spacing commands applied.
However, if there are only a few words to deal with on a single note,
I would enter them as lyrics but use hard spaces between the words,
then set left alignment in those cases.

2) I've dealt with two different ways to show intonations: a) at the
beginning of the tenor line of the music and b) as a short staff
above the first system. For a) I would enter the intonation in a
"pick-up bar" that has been set up as a staff style where all but the
tenor staff will have no staff lines or rests. b) I usually enter
this kind of incipit on a page after the end of the piece that will
not be printed, and I make an EPS of the incipit and enter it above
the first system as a graphic. This way you can center it and size it
as you wish. Be sure to save the EPS file in the same location as the
piece.

I think both of these methods will take less time than what you have suggested.
--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403