> From: Jamin Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The "Electronic Music" class should actually be called "Using Your Computer
> to Make Your Own Music."  The way it is set up now, the students use
> Sibelius, Mastertracks Pro Sequencer (I think that's what the program is
> called - I've never used it before), and Musica Practica to write and record
> their own music on I-Mac computers (of course, I'm used to Finale on a PC).
> It is recommended that all students who take the course have at least a
> basic musical background, but some will be stronger than others.  Have any
> of you ever taught a course like this, and if so, could you recommend some
> resources, texts, ideas of things I should MAKE SURE I cover (as opposed to
> things I can skip), etc., to help me to put it together?

I do quite a lot of this kind of thing over here in Scotland. The idea of
approaching it as something which has to be 'covered' sounds a bit didactic
to me. Where's the fun? I would approach this in a pretty much student
centred way; ok here's the toys, I've shown you what they can do, now what
do *you* want to do?

The theory being that they are then motivated to get to grips with the gear,
learning what they need to learn to achieve their own goals; it doesn't
always work that way, of course!

--
J. Simon van der Walt    -----     Composer
<http://www.jsimonvanderwalt.com>