David Fenton writes:

>I suspect that Schenker would actually parse the [Pachelbel Canon]
>progression as:
>
>   I , V - vi, iii - IV, I - IV - V :||
>
>That means that it's not a falling 4th, but a deceptive resolution of a
>rising fourth.
>
>The structural chords are I - vi - IV - V - I. The others are simply
>passing chords, subordinate to these structural ones.

Dear David,

No doubt he would, but the sequences are so clearly marked off that
it's seems ridiculous to me to consider that the progressions between
them are somehow more important. The piece would be just as
convincing if there were measure rests between the sequences. The
piece falls apart without the second harmony in each sequence, which
I hear as a cadential "repose." What if we move the bar lines so that
the I is an anacrusis?

I love the way Lassus begins his chanson "Bon jour mon coeur":

      I - bVII - IV - I    (a lovely cascade of falling fourths)

I like to think of the bVII as IV of IV (probably a short circuit for
Schenker). The mixolydian progression is scrumptious.

...but my hearing must be stuctured a bit differently from Schenker's  ;-)

Best regards,

Hal

--
Harold Owen