I seem to be always the bloke who asks the stupid questions! Never mind!
Here's another!

What do the padlocks on the right of staves actually lock? It seems to make
no difference if they are there or not. I don't put them there. How do they
get there? What do they stop me from doing? Am I just, by accident, avoiding
trying to do what they stop? Can I remove them? Do I ever need to? I can
move staves, reduce/enlarge, add measures to, take measures from, move
staves from page to page, etc, etc. so just what DO they lock?

Standing by for howls of laughter, I remain, here in OZ- Keith.