They lock your systems, and keep the measures from "flowing" from one
system to the next, should you make changes in your score. In "Mass Mover",
if you have a measure selected, you can "unlock the system" for the staff
(staves) that you have measures selected. Select MassEdit | Unlock Systems.
One way the systems locks can appear is if you use the up/down arrows to
force a measure to appear in a previous/subsequent system. I believe,
although I haven't tried, that setting all systems to have the same number
of measures will enable the locks.