It is my experience that the differing lengths of multimeasure rests
(assuming they are all the standard thick bar with thin upright
beginning and ending lines) are simply for adjusting the music spacing,
not for indicating varying lengths of rests.  So it is quite possible to
have a short 24 measure rest and a long 5 measure rest if that solves
other spacing issues.

The only time the width varies to show differing lengths of rests is
when symbols are used in the old fashioned way (narrow bar stretching
between two staff lines to show 2 measures of rest, placing two of these
next to each other to show 4 measures of rest, etc.)

Raimund Lintzen wrote:

> Dear listers,
>
> what is the notation-standard?
>
> 1) same width for all Multimeasurement Rests, even when
> different numbers of measures (in mmrests) or different
> Time Signatures (in '1 measure-rests') are following each other
>
> or
>
> 2) the width of different Multimeasurement Rests
> differs to reflect its durations
>
> Any references?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Raimund Lintzen