[David W. Fenton:]

>As to Win95 crashing, well, what do you mean?

     Well, different things on different occasions.  Sometimes WordPad or
Outlook Express or (most of all) Internet Explorer crashes ("illegal operation"
message).  Internet Explorer is terrible like that, especially if you try to
delete items you don't want from the Internet History.
     I have a word-processor, a DOS program called XyWrite, which sometimes
seems to freeze the DOS screen it's in when I try to exit it; I can terminate it
from within Windows, though, if I Alt-Tab out of it first.  I'm not sure if
that's related, or purely a XyWrite problem.  It *is* related to whether I run
XyWrite in 25-line mode or 50-line mode.
     Sometimes the whole computer just freezes with a message about "kernel 32"
or something; it offers me the choice of ignoring it and continuing to work, but
in fact the whole computer is frozen, and I can't even enter an answer to the
question.
     I think lack of disk space is the cause of at least some of these problems.
But fixing it will be involved, and discussing it here would probably take us
too far off topic.

>The OS locks up? In what circumstances?

     I can't identify all the circumstances, but one is that I've tried to open
too many programs at once.  Maybe also running Windows too long before rebooting
makes problems more likely.
     And also the disk space problem probably figures.  The disk space actually
seems to fluctuate, but it can run out entirely sometimes for a while, then some
gets released again.

>You also might consider a fresh install of Windows, which will clean all the
>crud out of the registry and improve reliability immensely.

     The problem is I've got stuff I don't want to lose, such as history of
Internet sites visited, and maybe other stuff, too.  I don't know any way of
saving that, and if I reinstall, I'll lose the lot, as well as configuration
settings for various things which would be a real headache to do all over again.
This has been keeping me from doing anything like reinstalling for quite a long
time (a few years, in fact).
     Is there any way of preserving things such as these and reinstalling, maybe
even repartitioning?  (I guess e-mail at least can be kept simply by moving it
somewhere else first.  But for much data I can't positively identify the actual
files which contain the data.)

>The easiest way to do that is to rename the existing Windows folder and then do
>a fresh install into a new Windows folder.

     Not enough disk space to do that.  Maybe I can make space, but I've got to
figure that out and plan it properly first.
     Part of the problem might be that I probably made unwise partitions when I
first got the computer due to not knowing what might be better, but which I
thought at the time would suit what I planned to do.  That means my C: drive is
perhaps smaller than it should be.

>Generally, this is better than wiping the hard drive because you'll have kept
>all your old drivers, and also many programs will run fine without needing to
>be reinstalled.

     That's an interesting idea, which I hadn't thought of.  Thanks; I'll think
about that.  The C.D.-ROM which came with my laptop is one of those ones that
reformats the C: drive when you reinstall (a system which I *hate*), but perhaps
there are tricks for reinstalling in other ways - I don't really know.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.