[David W. Fenton:]

>I want to point out that you are confusing two very different things in your
comments here, ease of learning and ease of use.

     I do appreciate the difference, actually; perhaps I just didn't express
myself clearly enough in the first place.  But I think I clarified this a bit in
a subsequent posting.
     I was in fact thinking of ease of long-term use more than ease of learning.
And I was thinking also of ease in the sheerly mechanical aspects of operating
the program (an efficient interface that allows things to be accomplished with
the minimum of keystrokes or mouse operations).

>Also, complexity is often difficult for a novice user, but for the
>experienced user that initial apparent complication may eventually become
>not complexity but flexibility and power.

     I am quite happy with the idea of a program built upon that philosophy.
     One of the problems I began to feel about Sibelius after trying out the
demo and asking questions on the Sibelius list was that I was getting the
impression that Sibelius just wasn't flexible enough for anything that the
designers didn't consider to be standard notational practice.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.