At 11:19 AM -0700 6/22/02, Chuck Israels wrote:

For learning harmony and voice leading in the 21st Century (and
according to your description of this man's music), I would assume
the seventh chord as the basic unit rather than the triad.  The
advantage of this, besides the fact that it would seem to suit much
of the material you describe, is that voice leading tendencies fall
into easily described and predictable patterns.

This is a guide I have written for my arranging/composing students.

First step:

Include root, 3rd and 7th.
Omit 5ths, 9ths, 11ths and 13ths.
Keep the root on the bottom.

[etc.]

Great, great post, Chuck. I'm archiving and saving it.  Terrific!

Maybe a year from now I can use it with this student.  For now, he
doesn't know what a triad is.  Doesn't know what a "root" is.  (I've
used all these terms and described them, but because he started in
the middle and has tried to learn in all directions since, it doesn't
"stick" and he doesn't really "get it."  I have to start from the
BEGINNING, and somehow convince him to slog through all the basics,
performing enough exercises and samples that he and I are both sure
that he has it in his bone marrow.  Then we can start with the kinds
of things you described.

On the other hand, he's very fast.  Maybe we'll get there by Christmas.

Thanks again for a terrific post.
--
Hear the music at:
http://www.ganymuse.com/