on 6/24/02 2:20 AM, Mark D. Lew at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, the only thing a teacher is good for is helping
> the students learn how to accomplish what they want, not to tell them that
> what they want is good or bad.

Not long after I started teaching almost 30 years ago, I had a high school
age drum student sign on for help in learning a very difficult snare drum
solo for Kansas State Music Contest. He had never had any lessons and his
skills were extremely modest. I told him that what he was wanting to do was
an almost impossible task in light of the time to accomplish it. He replied
that he felt he could do anything that he set his mind to; one could
accomplish anything if they wanted it badly enough. All of us who teach are
familiar with this self-affirmation "happy talk," and time proved what my
instincts told me: "This kid has delusions of adequacy." But my liberal
values vetoed my instinctive impulse to tell the kid I couldn't help him, so
we muddled through about six weeks of drum lessons. When asked about his
lack of practice, he said he wasn't able to practice very much because he
had to work too many hours at his part-time job to pay for his brand new
"kick-ass" SUV, but he was just as determined as ever to get this solo
learned. Finally, when he had about a week left to go, he told me he wasn't
going to take the solo to contest because "I hadn't motivated him
sufficiently to learn it and that I had failed him as a teacher." (!!)
I have since been a lot more direct with students about things like this.
When a student's goals are clearly out of line with their abilities and time
and desire to practice, I very directly communicate this to them and save us
both further aggravation. Perhaps the terms "good" and "bad" are a little
simplistic, but the idea behind the sentiment is spot-on.
Doug