At 8:52 AM +1000 6/27/02, helgesen wrote:
>As a "Simpleton" now trying Speedy I have realised what I have been missing
>and I will persevere with my learning. A couple of questions- sorry to be so
>boring to some experts!
>
>I'm on PC, Fin2001d.   I will use MIDI when I mean 'piano' keyboard, and
>'keyboard' when I mean  QWERTY.
>
>I know if I hold down a note or chord on Midi I can enter keyboard 4,5,6,
>etc and enter quaver, crotchet, minim. A great boon when entering Trom,
>Horn, chords etc! Question- can I reverse the procedure? That is, somehow
>hold down Keyboard 5 (f'rinstance) and play a series of different MIDI
>chords to enter a series of different crotchet chords. I am aware I can do
>this in Hyper, but my pianistic skills aren't good enough to play
>rhythmically correct chords consistently.
>If I hold down 5, then look to my Midi I find I have several measures full
>of Crotchet rests! OOPS!

Hit the Caps Lock key, then hit 5 once. Every note or chord you play
on the MIDI keyboard from now on will be entered as a quarter note.

I find this great for runs, especially tuplet runs, which normally
take several more keystrokes! For example, for a triplet eighth-note
run, hit Caps Lock, Opt-3 (for triplets), then 4 (for eighth notes.)
Then start playing the piano keyboard, and every new note will be
entered as an 1/8 note triplet until you turn off Caps Lock.

>BTW I was somewhat surprised to see that when working on Horn, or other
>transposed parts, I entered notes at Horn pitch or whatever and not Concert
>pitch. No problem whatsoever in doing this but considering Finale transposes
>for playback, mass-mover and everything else I was surprised.

In the FILE menu, check "Display in Concert Pitch." The way this is
set to display, you will enter the notes that way. In other words, if
it is checked, then you can enter in concert pitch, if it is not
checked, then you enter in trnasposed pitch. Playback is unaffected
either way (I believe. I've never actually checked!) It does NOT
affect part extraction (thank you!) only the score.

Christopher