Dear Richard

Thank you for your hints. I'm a full week further, and have discovered more.
In general I'm pleased, so thank you for your testing work.

> Use 'implode music' to combine the layers then convert to tab. The tab
> numbers will be the same but the rhythms will be combined.

Imploding music doesn't combine layers. What does work is copy the staff
four times, then use move layers to end up with one layer each staff, move
all those layers to layer one, then implode music. Copy this staff. Use one
staff for tab, the other one can be made into a rhythm staff above the
tablature with the Single Pitch plug-in. The rhythm staff still needs
cleaning up as there are can be unwanted ties and accidentals. The tab needs
to be cleaned up of tied notes.
Looks to me I should be learning how to make my own plug-inns, as this
workaround is pretty staightforward and fool-proof.
BTW, the rhythm staff thus created is much better then Finale's own
solution, as that does not only lack dots, but open note heads as well! Try
typing quarter, half, dotted quarter and dotted half in tablature: they all
look the same!

It's a pitty Finale doesn't understand multiple layers in tablature, their
notes are printed on top of each other on the same string. Polyphony gets
lost, for a prime I have to add a layer after all. I believe the old
tablature system handled polyphony in multiple layers better.

> > 2. Tab for instruments with more than 6 strings
>
> We are also stuck with this one for now. I hope users will
> develop and share
> libraries of expressions or articulations for all of the
> different 'average'
> lutes.

8 and 10-course renaissance lutes are very average. So is a 13 or 14-course
d-minor baroque lute, a 14-course theorbo and a 14-course archlute. If
Finale can cater for 6 kinds of banjos I think they could include these
instruments. The vihuela (tuned in a' and Milan-notation) shows they at
least try to do something more specific, and although it is debatable how
'average' this particular vihuela is, at least it gives us a starting point
to make our own vihuela definition library. The inclusion of instruments
with more strings than lines in the tablature is important for placement of
repeat dots (nicely centered, they even put it in their blurb) and for the
positioning of the signs for the lower strings. We shouldn't have to tweak
them all manually, a setting like 'place all tab-numbers/letters below
string x at position of string x+1' would be enough. And then we should have
the option to define a character or articulation or whatever for each of
these open lower strings. It really looks like I'll have to take up writing
my own plug-inns. |-(

David

David van Ooijen
http://home.planet.nl/~d.v.ooijen/