I've been reading this discussion, and a few things struck me. Finale,
it seems to me, is a tool for the serious engraver, and for the
composer/arranger who's interested in producing music on paper for
performers to read and play.

Sibelius, on the other hand, is for the composer/arranger who needs
fast results--school band directors, e.g. It would seem, also, that
Sibelius has a greater capacity for playback, for the perswon who is
interested in direct recording or computer playback (MIDI, etc.). Its
greater flexibility in articulation styles (pizz. and so on) would
indicate this.

So basically, the differences are not a measure of which program is
better per se, but rather which one better performs the tasks you are
interested in performing.

As for the protection scheme of Sibelius, well, they're probably still
new at it.

Horace Brock

P.S.: The director of my Brass Band has recently started to use
Sibelius (he heard about it from his father, also a composer). He's
very happy with it. Apparently one of the good things about Sibelius
is its learning curve. There probably wouldn't be any need fotr
college courses in using Sibelius.
HB