Brian,

your problem is caused by a "known bug". Passages with independent
time signatures are not spaced correctly. The bug first appeared in
Finale 2000a: if you have a copy of Finale 2000 (or an earlier
version), you will find that it does the spacing correctly in this
situation.

The only workaround I know is to use tuplets instead of independent
time signatures.

You've just got Fin 2003 so you must be on Windows (the Mac version
isn't out yet): you'll find that this particular problem still exists
in the new version. So write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] requesting
that this bug be fixed!

Best wishes,

Michael Cook