>Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 06:56:03 -0400
>From: "David H. Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [Finale] Re: The "S" word again
>
>I thought Australia had voted to continue to recognize the British
>monarch as their monarch also.  Am I remembering things wrong?  Was it
>maybe New Zealand?
>
>Mark D. Lew wrote:
>
>> At 6:52 PM 07/10/02, Peter Castine wrote:
>>

>>>[...] which is not surprising given Sibelius' long-standing
>>>dominance in anglophone constitutional monarchies.
>>>

>> OK, I'll bite.  Aside from the UKoGBaNI, what else would you call an
>> anglophone constitutional monarchy?  Lesotho? Tonga?

OK, I haven't checked for a long time.

According to the CIA World Factbook
<http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/as.html#Govt>

-----
Country name:   conventional long form:  Commonwealth of Australia
conventional short form:  Australia
Government type:        democratic, federal-state system recognizing the British
monarch as sovereign
-----

Sounds like a constitutional monarchy to me. Would a rose by any other
name smell more sweet?

On to <http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/nz.html#Govt>

-----
Country name:   conventional long form:  none
conventional short form:  New Zealand
abbreviation:  NZ
Government type:        parliamentary democracy
-----

OK, I must have missed the news on this one. But Queen Elizabeth II is
*still* listed as chief of state. I got a minor surprise to read that
Canada's chief of state is still HRH (represented by Governor General
Adrienne Clarkson).

Basically, what I meant in my previous message was "any country that uses
a fifty-year-old silhouette of Queen E. II on their postage stamps." Any
more complaints?

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Castine      | The Litter Power Pro Bundle is now available!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    | <http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/>