Both rental and purchase have their good points and their bad points:

Sale leaves the music in the hands of the performers so that any future
performance fees you get will be filtered through a P.R.O. (which will
take its fee!) if you are a member, or will be totally nonexistent if
you aren't a member and don't know when the future performances might
be.  But then you aren't left with inventory (which technically is
taxable as stock-on-hand) and the expense of keeping it stored and
keeping track of it.

Rental guarantees that you get your performance fee each time since you
would naturally build that into the rental fee.  Of course, if the
performing group has an annual license with the P.R.O. you would also
get a tiny performance royalty as your royalty payment from the P.R.O.
You can control each performance, so that if an obviously inferior group
which you don't want embarassing you with a performance wants to rent
it, you can conveniently tell them that it is currently rented and is
already booked for the next three years, so the earliest they can rent
it would be [fill in a date that they probably won't be interested in].

But you then have a lot of bookkeeping to do, you have to contact the
renting organization if the music isn't returned on time, you have the
added aggravation of having to replace damaged or missing parts and you
have stock to maintain (and declare on your taxes).

Each has its good points and its bad points.  Since you are asking this
on the Finale list, it would appear as if you can generate the parts on
demand, so maintaining stock may not be an issue.

For your specific questions -- YES, you would come up with a boilerplate
contract which would have blanks for the name of the piece, the dates
the organization would receive the music from you by, and the dates the
organization would return the music to you by (stipulate shipping method
and stipulate insurance).  It would contain the rental fee, (which in my
estimation you need to receive BEFORE shipping the music), and specific
extra charges ($xxx per week the music is late, $xxx for each part which
is returned unusable or lost, $xxx for any extra performances which
might be added, $xxx if the music is entirely lost) which might accrue.
  There would be blanks for a represntative of the organization to sign
and date, and the contract would be returned to you WITH A CHECK before
the music could be shipped.

Yes, the parts will be returned to you, if it is a rental.  It is just
like renting a rototiller -- you go to a store, pay the money, get the
rototiller to use for a specific period of time, you return the
rototiller, they don't charge your credit card for the price of the
rototiller.  Substitute the word Music for Rototiller and you see the
concept is the same.

You SHOULD, in my opinion, offer for sale as a separate purchase, the
score.  Checking in the Luck's Music catalog or the Kalmus Catalogue can
be pretty revealing about the various pricing schemes you might want to
follow.

One thing to keep perfectly clear in your mind at all times:
Music is ART.
Business is BUSINESS.
Music Business is BUSINESS which offers ART as its commodity.
Music Business is NOT ART which has money attached.

Be sure you keep a good business mind working clearly!  That is one of
the things that most music schools don't teach music students,
unfortunately.

Eric wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could offer any guidance or advice regarding
> offering one's music for rental vs. purchase?
>
> I will soon be premiering a piece that I (optimistically!) expect to
> generate some interest for a limited market. I was wondering if I should
> offer it for rental rather than purchase? I don't really
> understand any of the legal or marketing nuances that may differ between
> purchase and rental. Logically, it would seem that for pieces with
> limited marketability, rental is the way to go.
>
> However...,
>
> -Does one draw up some sort of generic "boilerplate" contract specifying
> the number of performances permitted by the rental fee?
>
> -Does the end user return the set of score and parts to me? If not, how
> does it differ from purchase?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can offer.
>
> Best wishes,
> Eric Richards
> ==================
> ERIC RICHARDS
> Composer - Arranger
> Trombone - MIDI
>
> For information on music for jazz ensemble:
>
> UNC  (University of Northern Colorado) JAZZ PRESS:
> http://arts.unco.edu/uncjazz/jazzpress/composerlist.html
>
> C.L. BARNHOUSE CO.
> http://www.clbarnhouse.com
>
> "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by
> bolts of lightning."
>  Calvin (the cartoon character, not the Reformed theologian)

David H. Bailey