At 11:16 AM 07/16/02, Christopher Zello wrote:
 >I'm having a lot of trouble getting a clef change to appear in a bass
 >clarinet part.
 >
 >Premise:  I'm trying to write a bass clt. part which moves between treble
 >and bass clef.  I need the ability to change clefs at the beginning of a bar
 >and, at other times, at the start of a measure.
 >
 >As best I can figure out, Finale considers bass clarinet a bass clef
 >instrument, but transposes it to treble clef automatically.  Whenever I try
 >to insert a change to the printed bass clef, it doesn't show the clef.

First, here's the (probable) answer to your problem. Select the staff tool,
double-click the staff in question, and hit the transposition button.
You'll notice that the 'Set to clef' box is checked. Uncheck this, and then
you will be able to make whatever clef changes you want. However, you will
probably have to manually change the starting clef of the staff to treble clef.

Second, be careful with what you're trying to do. Standard practice for
bass clarinet in Bb is to write it up a major ninth, rather than the usual
major second for regular Bb clarinet. In that case, the lowest written note
for bass clarinet is an E below middle C, which doesn't really require bass
clef at all.

Hope this helps.

Aaron.