You've gotten a couple of good answers to the technical problem -- now
for the human aspect of it -- bass clarinet players don't read bass clef
on that instrument.  They expect it to be transposed to Bb, up a 9th
from sounding pitch, written in the treble clef.

So if you go to bass clef, there will be all sorts of confusion:
1) is it written in concert pitch or transposed to Bb?
2) is it written at pitch or should it be played an octave lower? (i.e.
contrabass clarinet)
3) why didn't the (insert your own expletives) composer/arranger just
write it like all the other bass clarinet parts?

You will need to be specific in the part about #1 and #2, and hopefully
you won't be present to hear #3.

Christopher Zello wrote:

> I'm having a lot of trouble getting a clef change to appear in a bass
> clarinet part.
>
> Premise:  I'm trying to write a bass clt. part which moves between treble
> and bass clef.  I need the ability to change clefs at the beginning of a bar
> and, at other times, at the start of a measure.
>
> As best I can figure out, Finale considers bass clarinet a bass clef
> instrument, but transposes it to treble clef automatically.  Whenever I try
> to insert a change to the printed bass clef, it doesn't show the clef.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Chris

David H. Bailey