On Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002, at 13:32 US/Pacific, Patrick Hubers wrote:

>> What it boils down to is:

>> Mac has: Command, Shift, Option, and Control
>> M$ has:  Shift, Option, and Control.

>> Calculating a factorial of the "key with modifier(s)" I come up with:

>> Mac: !5 = 120
>> M$:  !4 = 24

> Hmm, that depends on the keyboard-layout you're using. I use "US
> International" and therefore have 4 (four) modifier keys:

> Shift, Control, Alt and AltGr (the Alt key on the right)

Thanks for mentioning "Alt". I only thought about it after the post was
sent. However, if you want to get into left and right modifiers, the
Mac has a switch available (in code) to de-couple all four modifiers.
May I revise the maximum possibilities then?

Mac: !9 =  362880
M$:  !5 = 120

> The main problem is that many programs don't handle the AltGr as an
> alternate modifier key,

Same on Macintosh for the left/right implementation but it's totally an
application choice.

What I would like for shortcut implementation in Finale is the EMACS
(escape) method as voiced on the Macintosh in the Alpha editor. There
is a Windows version available as well (called AlphaTk). This is a
traditional unix method of binding keys to functions on a per/mode
basis where the mode may also be user defined. In Finale, this would be
on a per/tool basis. There are no platform issues with this method
because it's already been ported to both Mac and Windows. Just bind the
keys as appropriate per OS (or user).

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca