At 12:50 AM -0400 9/29/02, Crystal Premo wrote:
>I got some work to do this weekend that involves taking over someone
>else's project, a couple of new songs for a new musical, plus
>editing, extracting and printing the songs already done.
>
>The work that has been done is quite clean and neat, but I have
>encountered some things which puzzle me.  Perhaps I don't have
>enough experience to realize that they are the best way to handle
>things:
>
>What is the advantage of inputting chords as lyrics?  Just because
>they have to appear below the staff does not seem like enough reason
>for it.

THe person probably didn't know how to adjust the chord symbol
baseline. It's not a good idea to use the lyric tool for chords, as
there are all kinds of advantages to the chord tool (like horizontal
and vertical adjustments of the chord symbol elements that you can't
easily get in the lyric tool). Most pianists want to see chord
symbols OVER the RH staff, so underneath is not the best place for
them either. If you don't need to change anything, then just adjust
the lyric base line for that staff (second arrow from the left) so
that the chords appear OVER the staff instead.

>What is the advantage of using expressions to create rolled chords
>as opposed to an articulation?

I don't know, maybe spacing, if the option is set to allow for
expressions, but not articulations? Otherwise, you may have a LOT of
manual spacing to do. Entering rolled chord indications as
articulations allows you to automatically space them, if
articulations are selected in Music Spacing Options, so I recommend
replacing the staff expressions with articulations.