On Sunday, Sep 29, 2002, at 17:06 US/Pacific, David W. Fenton wrote:

> But, of course, there's no *need* for the excess modifier keys in
> Windows, because there are dedicated keys that handle most of the
> cursor movement options, and the simple application of Ctrl for those
> that are not there (Ctrl-End, Ctrl-Home, Ctrl-PageUp, Ctrl-PageDown,
> Ctrl-Right/Left, Ctrl-Up/Down).

There's no need to have those keys at all on Macs because
navigation/selection is handled more eloquently and more efficiently
with the modifier/arrow combinations. Seems to me the above logic from
Redmond would extend to have yet another set of keys for paragraph and
word navigation/selection and several dozen more keys for text
formatting. Silly.

> The Mac wouldn't need any special pleading for all the modifier keys
> if they used the keys on the keyboard for the purposes they were
> created for in the first place.

I'm not sure of the use of the word "pleading" in this context. Since
the arrow keys alone navigate, and arrow keys with Shift select, then
it's more logical to use modifiers to augment the behavior of the arrow
keys rather than add keys to the keyboard.

This is a favorable design as well because it uses less materials
(plastic, key mechanisms, wiring, etc.) per keyboard.

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca