I think this is a throwback to the older days when screen redraws took a
lot of time and really slowed things down.  With this, assuming you
could keep things straight in your head, you could move things around on
screen and when you were finally ready to "set things in stone" you
could hit ctrl-u and get everything moved exactly as you had wanted.

It is something I learned early on -- each time I go to page view I hit
ctrl-u, each time I move things around in page view I hit ctrl-u, each
time I add anything in page view I hit ctrl-u (well, actually, if I am
adding a bunch of things to a single page I will work on that page until
I think I am finished and then I will hit crtl-u.)

And while a lot of the computers that we use these days don't have the
slow screen-redraw issue any longer, I would bet that removing that
behavior would be a programming nightmare.  They even added Automatic
Update Layout as an option, but it doesn't seem to cover all the
updating functions that ctrl-u covers.

helgesen wrote:
> Why does this happen? Working on a three stave work, in scroll view, I go to
> page view (pre-print) and page one shows measures 1-----6,  7-----12,
> 13-----18,  19-----24.
> Page 2 shows 7-----12, 13-----18, 19------24,  25------30.
> Page 3 shows 13------18,  19-----24,  25-----30,  31-----36.     and so on!
> Easily fixed by Control U, (page update), but easy to miss at a quick
> glance. I got caught one time and did about a 17 page printout for 90-odd
> measures! Ouch!
> On WinFin 2001d, regards, Keith in OZ

David H. Bailey