On 31 Oct 2002 at 14:28, Phil Daley wrote:

> At 10/31/2002 02:12 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>  >>  >No, it was not removed. The size of the buffers was vastly increased,
>  >>  >possibly even made dynamic.
>  >>
>  >> No.  The separate buffers for GDI memory was eliminated.
>  >
>  >While the total buffer size was vastly increased. The buffers were
>  >not entirely eliminated though -- you can still run out of stack
>  >space.
>  >
>  >>  >You can get the "out of memory" or "not enough memory to update
>  >>  >screen: please close some programs" message on Win2K (and you could
>  >>  >get it on NT 4, too), just not nearly as often, and under much
>  >>  >heavier load than in the Windows versions based on the Win9x kernel
>  >>  >(Win95, Win98, WinME).
>  >>
>  >> Of course, you can always run out of actual memory.
>  >
>  >It's not actual memory.
>  >
>  >My system has 768MBs of real RAM and a swap file of minimum 768MBs
>  >with no cap (well, it could max out the 20GB drive it lives on). I
>  >have seen the "not enough memory to update screen" message, and there
>  >was plenty of physical RAM and swap space available. That means some
>  >internal buffer filled up, probably the buffer that replaced the
>  >separate GDI/User stacks in the Win3.x and Win9x kernels.
>
> You clearly do not understand the difference between stack memory, heap
> memory and user allocated memory.

Oh? I wasn't the one that said that I'd run out of actual memory, not
resources.

> You also don't understand the difference between non-paged pool and paged
> pool memory.

Yes, actually, I do.

> When you run out of non-paged pool memory, you cannot continue.

????

Maybe you mean "run out of non-pageable" pool memory?

When you fill up the memory in the whole pool (RAM + swap file) and
there are no discardable pages in that pool, you have a problem.

That has nothing to do with what I reported, or my system would have
been completely locked.

> Running out of stack space is programmer error.

Yes, and it's not the same thing as "actual memory," which was your
response to my comment. You implied that I was describing running out
of "actual memory," when all I was reporting was the programmer error
you identify.

What was the point of your response? It makes no sense whatsoever.

You keep making factually incorrect mistakes, and then when I correct
you, you make mistakes of your own.

--
David W. Fenton                 |       http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates         |       http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc