I would like to avoid deleteing the chords whenever possible, since I at some
point would like to put them back into the score. And of course, I don't want
to have go through that process every time I make any changes.

As far as muting the accompaniment, will that cause the output MIDI file to
not include that? I think the output file will still have that anyway.

As I said before, it does NOT allow me to put the chords on a separate track.
I might try using flute or some other instrument for the melody, though.

Yours; Tammy