On 17 Nov 2002 at 4:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I too bought a new computer which came with Windows XP.
>
> Although Finale itself work fine, I cannot use my midi piano keyboard to
> input music.  This has been the only problem I have encountered specific to
> Finale.

You had a soundcard installed in the computer at the factory, or you
installed it yourself? If the former, then the problem should be
resolved by the manufacturer, as MIDI through the soundcard should
simply work out of the box. If the latter, then the problem cannot
really be blamed on WinXP, particularly if the manufacturer does not
support WinXP for that particular sound card.

My sound card is not really supported on Win2K, but the manufacturer
does give instructions on a workaround that usually works.
Thankfully, it did work, but if it hadn't, I simply would have
purchased a new Win2K-compatible soundcard, and not blame the problem
on Microsoft but on Turtle Beach.

> However, my printer drivers do not work and I have to use a workaround driver
> which reduces my pirnter's capabilities considerably.  My CD writer will not
> work at all (hence my lack of backups when my computer crashed last week and
> I lost compositions arrangements and essays to say nothing of hundreds of
> personal letters and photos)

Again, this must surely be an issue of the manufacturer not providing
proper drivers. Have you checked the printer maker's website for
updated drivers or instructions on getting it to work with WinXP?

Again, you can't blame on Microsoft the failure of peripheral
manufacturers to create drivers for a significant revision of Windows
(though in large part, any drivers that work on Win2K ought to work
on WinXP).

> A couple of other porgrams I used to use  will not work at all and there
> seems to be no way of addapting them.  (Yes I tried the "run in Windows98
> mode" and that didn't work either, but that may be my fault.)

They must be very old DOS-based programs indeed to not work on WinXP.
I had a client who was having problems with an old dBase II app, but
by tweaking some settings we got event *that* to run, a program
compiled in the mid-80s.

I can't think of any kind of Win16 or Win32 program that would not
work in a newer version of Windows, unless that program were badly
written and used shortcuts specific to the earlier versions of
Windows.

> I'm sure WindowsXP will be wonderful once I have bought all new software
> specifically designed to run on it, but for now my screensaver breathes a
> curse upon Microsoft every time I am idle for more than two minutes.

I'm not fan of WinXP or of Microsoft, but I think you are being
rather unfair in laying the blame on Microsoft. It sounds to me like
you are expecting it to work with hardware and software that is many
Windows generations old. While MS tries to maintain backward
compatibility, some kinds of things are impossible (especially with
drivers). Windows 3.x printer drivers could not be installed on
Win95, and no one thought there was something dreadfully wrong with
that -- manufacturers simply created new drivers (when MS didn't
provide them with the OS). If you manufacturer is not creating new
drivers this is hardly the fault of Microsoft.

--
David W. Fenton                 |       http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates         |       http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc