>What is, in harp notation, the "correct" notation symbol to use for stopping
>the sound from the harp.
>The sources I have differ: Some say it looks like a perfect circle with a
>cross (where the lines of the cross extend somewhat beyond the circle).
>Others say it should be the same as the "coda" sign.

I remember reading [*] that the perfectly circular symbol is more correct,
but the coda sign is an acceptable alternative if a true circle isn't
available.

I would say the distinction is only typographic -- in the same category as
using a regular asterisk to end a piano pedal, or an ordinary bold italic
"mp" for a dynamic mark.  It will be preferred to use the symbol tailored
more specifically for the task, but the alternative isn't wrong per se.  In
a stylized music font, the symbol might not look exactly like either, but
it would still be some sort of circle with a cross through it.  Likewise
for handwritten.

mdl

[*] I think that was in a guideline for engraving handbell music, from
about ten years ago.