Dear Folks and Mac Support,

Finale's method of dealing with with pick-up bars has always seemed awkward to me. Using the Mirror Tool to set up "place-holders" is certainly counter-intuitive. I believe that many - if not most - serious users prefer to set the time signature for the value of the pick-up duration while using the main time signature for display. My request is that the Set-up Wizard use this method instead of the awkward older method and that an item called "Set Pick-up Bar" be added to the Measure Menu (for those who prefer not to use the Set-up Wizard) that will set the signature and the measure number region properly.

I have a related bug report: When we use the method I suggest, the width of the pick-up bar is too large when music spacing is invoked. Presently I must drag the measure handle to get the width I want, then when I invoke music spacing, I have to exclude the pick-up bar. This is awkward when I wish to do global music spacing.

For the time being, how about a plug-in to set up a pick-up bar, set measure numbering, and reduce the measure width....

Hal

--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403