When I played 4'33" last year, I did an internet search on the piece and found all sorts of stuff. There's an interesting article by Larry J. Solomon at http://www.azstarnet.com/~solo/4min33se.htm
Here's a short quote from it:

"Liberties are sometimes taken with the music, from performing it as one movement (or as several) to choreographing it as theater. During a performance at the North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston-Salem, in the summer of 1970, students threw paper airplanes and deliberately made noises.
After a 1975 "performance" of his _Song Books_ in that manner, Cage had a lot to say, among which:

"Last night when I heard the S.E.M. Ensemble play Song Books, I regretted that I composed it. I regret that my work now exists as something so widely mnisunderstood."

and: "When something is possibly beautiful, why do we find every way that is in our hands to possibly trample on it?"

and: "I have apparently done my work in such a way that when people do their worst work they connect it with me."

and: "No matter how many times I say 'You can't do what you want,' people always interpret it as you can do anything you want."

and: "Silence is becoming free of one's intentions, very few people are willing to do that."

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://www.kallistimusic.com