On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 01:50  PM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

On 08.01.2003 19:33 Uhr, Andrew Stiller wrote

Help! I just rebuilt my desktop (Mac OS 9.2) and now Acrobat Reader 5.0 crashes whenever I try to print something (HP LaserJet 5000N, LW 8 printer driver). Adobe's help files are no help. Any assistance wd. be greatly appreciated.

Do you really have 5.0? I had print problems with 5.0 when I first installed it, until I updated it to 5.05.

On the other hand, I recently had a problem where Reader would give me an error (Document X could not be printed). The problem went away after I rebuilt the desktops of all my partitions (not just the system partition). I have no idea what caused it.
Well (and pertaining also to your previous query about installing OS X in correct partition), I've had my own horror story with Acrobat Reader. I tried to upgrade to Reader 5.0.5 when I did not have OS X installed in the first partition. Totally destroyed the Installer application, hung OS X, and created disk problems that nothing could fix (6 missing threads). Yeah really, never upgrade in the middle of a project. I had to erase the whole disk and reinstall from scratch. It's fixed now, but that was a hard lesson because they say that for older machines like mine, OS X must be in the first 8 Gigs but what they really mean is that it must be on the first partition within 8 Gigs.

I'm not printing PDFs from OS 9 much anymore but I decided to stick with Reader 4 for the older OS. I can't remember the exact problems, but suffice it to say that it was easier to stick with something guaranteed to work.

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca