You can't put a clef-change in one layer only, so if you want/need the clef-change for the cued part you are stuck using two staves.

You can, of course, optimize out all the unused staves for systems without the cued notes so it won't show. You could even try to move the cue staff on top of the cello staff where the cued notes are so it would look like one staff, but I would think that any clef change would make the original cello part much less clear, so my advice would be to use a separate staff if you are using a different clef for the cued notes.

Mark D. Lew wrote:
My work is primarily piano-vocal, and I don't do separate string parts very
often, so I'm hoping I can get an answer here.

I have a cello part which needs to include some cues played by the violin.
What is the rule for clefs is such a situation?  Do I change to treble clef
for the cue and then back to bass clef for the cello?  Or does the cellist
want to read the violin part in a bass clef?

Added complication:  In most of these, the cello is holding a fermata note
while the violin plays a cadenza.  Is there some way I can put the violin
cue on the same staff, or will I have to add a separate staff?

thanks
mdl

David H. Bailey