Attn : Mr. David Bailey

Dear Sir,

I've read your article below and I was very interested.
Unfortunately, I've been trying to do this for month and failed.

I have a PC running on XP with a TUtlebeach santacruz sound card with a midi interface via the joystick port. I bough a cable joystick/midi in an out at a local Tandy store.

Every thing seems fine in the properties on the computer.

Unfortunately, when I hook up and swich on the material nothing is detected and I can't use my clavinova CLP 950 with finale or with other software.

Could you help ?

I promise to upgrade my version to many of you products as soon as I can get this thing working. If not, I write faster with a piece of paper and a pencil... :o)

Fabi Moria,
-----------------

Aaron Sherber wrote:

I've got a PC with an onboard sound card, so I have no MIDI ports.
However, my keyboard (Yamaha Clavinova) has a DIN8 port that I can connect
directly to the serial port of my PC. Question is, how do I get the serial
port to talk to my sound card (SoundBlaster 16) or to Finale?

I've looked through the usual Win95 places, as well as the SoundBlaster and
Finale docs, but I don't see anything.

If you have a soundcard with a joystick port, you have a MIDI
connection. You just have to go to a computer store and purchase a
joystick port-midi adaptor which is a cable to plug into the joystick
port. The adaptor actually has three cables coming from the
joystick-port plug, one cable for midi-out, one for midi-in and one to
connect a joystick through. THen you just have to be sure the midi port
is enabled (alt-doubleclick MY COMPUTER, click on DEVICE MANAGER tab,
highlight SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS, and make sure the settings
for your sound-card have the midi-port enabled.)

As for being able to hook your Clavinova straight into your computer,
there should have been a 3.5" disk that came with the Clavinova with
appropriate driver software for your computer. If not, contact the
dealer to find out what to do or contact Yamaha (www.yamaha.com) and ask
them. Your computer won't just automatically recognize anything
connected to one of your ports unless there is a driver loaded for that
device and set up to recognize it at that particular port.

Once the drivers are enabled they should show up in Finale when you go
to the Options menu, Midi Setup for earlier versions or the MIDI menu,
Midi Setup on Finale98.