Again, a vote (in action!) for changing the default "reply" behavior on the list.

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 02:08 AM, d. collins wrote:

I'm forwarding this back to the list, because I don't think it was meant for me personally.

Dennis

From: "Steve Schow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:31:56 -0800

I for one am wondering the following.. When I work on a string
arrangment, part of the job is checking out the fingering to make sure
the players are going to be able to play the parts the way I want them
to. Is this mirroring technique possibly a way to quickly look at some
tabulature that will show me the fingering? Or is the TAB so geared
towards guitar or other fretted instruments that its basically not
useful that way?

Tab is never used for string parts. Violin, viola, cello, and bass players always read standard notation, regardless of musical style. Mirroring has nothing to do with generating or checking fingering for string parts. (This [obviously] is part of the arranger's job.) The mirror tool does what it says it does -- it duplicates exactly the entries in the selected staves in the target staves.

As for Linda's earlier comment about "arco," "pizz" etc being duplicated in non-string parts -- the short answer is, if they are staff expressions, they will be duped; however, if (like me) you are in the habit of entering everything as a score expression -- even expressions that apply to one staff only -- then score expression are *not* duped in mirrored measures. This is (IMO) a feature, not a bug -- it makes mirrors much more flexible, since in this case the flute part *can* be a mirror of the violin part even if there are score expressions that are specific to the strings.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA