His point was asking if there were a way he could use the TAB to figure out what fingerings he wanted, I think. That told me he was not a violinist and to such people I would STILL suggest that they leave fingerings off the music, except in rare instances where a very specific effect is desired.

John Howell wrote:
David H. Bailey wrote:

You should only put the fingerings in for those places where you
actually are demanding a very specific sound, such as third-space C
played up high on the D string.

Otherwise, string players are going to go for whatever fingerings work
best for them and ignore your fingerings.  So it is usually best not to
include them except for rare instances, and then you don't need to give
the fingerings, only the location with an expression such as "Sul D."

There may be confusion here between tab and staff notation.  No violinist
reads tab!  (And no generalization is true, including this one!)

But, I would caution against making blanket statements about string (bowed)
players.  Yes, some players will ignore your fingerings because (a) they're
better at making fingering choices than you are; (b) they don't have the
chops to manage your fingerings; or (c) you've fingered for beginners and
the results would be poor with more adept players.

BUT, if your fingerings do make sense, and if the effect you want is
obvious and the fingerings produce it, a lot of players WILL follow them.
And exactly the same is true for your bowings, which have been sufficiently
discussed in the past, I would think.  Go ahead and put in your
suggestions, knowing full well that they may be changed.

None of which has anything to do with tab, so I may be answering entirely
the wrong question!

From: "Steve Schow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I for one am wondering the following..  When I work on a string
arrangment, part of the job is checking out the fingering to make sure
the players are going to be able to play the parts the way I want them
to.

I don't know you, Steve, so please forgive the question.  Are you a string
player?  Are you qualified to make those decisions?  There's a huge
difference between being able to play the parts your way and being able to
play them effectively and artistically.

John

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music