At 5:41 PM 03/05/03, John Bell wrote:

>For goodness' sake is it necessary to debate this at such length?

Of course it's not necessary, but this is a forum for debates and some of
us like to make use of it. I feel like this was a healthy debate, and I for
one learned from it.

>Musicians who see the old two-eights-equals thing or see the word
>Swing either know immediately what it means, or else they don't. No
>amount of instructions will ever make a classically trained string
>section sound anything other than ridiculous if you try to make them
>swing.

That's a very gloomy attitude to take. I believe that musicians can learn.
Part of our job is to figure out how best to help them do so.

mdl