At 09:46 AM 3/14/03 -0500, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>There are still glottal stops in English--at least the N. American
>variety. I pronounce the word glottal as [gla'l], button as [b^'n],
>etc.

The Ed Sullivan effect! :) "And now... The Bea'les!"

Yes, DARE (Dictionary of American Regional English -- Note to those
interested: Volume P-Sk is finally out! I got it for my birthday today!)
includes many examples of the glottal stop, including how most of us say
the personal pronoun "I" at the beginning of a sentence.

Dennis