At 11:09 AM 03/14/03, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

>I'd expect Spanish to rise to more prominence over the coming years here in
>the US, but on the other hand, it seems English occupies the position
>Esperanto once aspired to.

Indeed. The great significance of English is not how it ranks in terms of
how many speak it as a first language, but in that it is the overwhelming
leader as SECOND language, throughout much of the world and growing.

I would venture to say that it may be heading in the direction of Latin.
Globally regional dialects of English are now strong enough to evolve
separately. Caribbean English, in particular, is increasingly difficult for
other anglophones to understand.

mdl