But international jurisdictions get sketchy at that point -- it might be public domain in Australia, but if your ISP has business locations within countries where the copyright term is longer and that work is still protected by copyright, they can be forced to take your file down.

Matthew Hindson Fastmail Acct wrote:
Bartok's music is still protected by copyright so you would be breaking
copyright law by posting it without obtaining written permission and
paying whatever royalty the copyright holder wanted to charge you --

Yes, but in Australia it's still 50 years after the composer's death, and
Bartok died in 1945.

So putting it on mp3.com.au would be OK, I would assume.  Paul, you could
give APRA or AMCOS a call to make sure.  I'm sure they'd be only too happy
to help out.

Matthew

.

--