At 04:29 PM 4/1/03 +0200, Mr. Liudas Motekaitis wrote:
>Where do I look up things that are found in New Music, like aphormous
>squiggles, a variety of arrows, notehead shapes, things that look like
>"++++++++", markings like "e", "z" "ppppppp",  fractions like 1/32, etc.
>etc. for the purpose of being able to discern whether these are markings
>used by one composer or whether these (and countless other such markings)
>are established and widely used in New Music notation practice?

Here's a note I recently sent to Michael Good, who had a similar question:

Hi Michael,

The Karkoschka is how I learned notation after the university failed to
teach me anything past Mahler. :)

Erhard Karkoschka: Notation in New Music. New York: Praeger, 1972. Original
German edition: Das Schriftbild dr Neuen Musik. Moeck Verlag, 1966.

Texier's font collection has been recommended to Finale users. It consists
of just about every available symbol, including those for
multi-microtonality, and is about as close to the Karkoschka as you'll find
(and includes many developed or fixed in the 35 years after Karkoschka's
work):

http://pro.wanadoo.fr/christian.texier/mididesi/

It's been very busy here (http://kalvos.org/ is my project, and
http://bathory.org/ was just mentioned in a feature at MSN.com and had over
a million hits since Monday), but yes indeed I am finally getting back to
musical things. I appreciate the offer for a full Dolet, and will take you
up on that as time allows.

Best to you,
Dennis