Measure-attached expressions are the best choice for all "generals
indications" witch belong to the the structure of the piece, like tempos and
movements indications, rehersals letters etc... These indications must be
presents in all parts, even if the instrumentalist is tacet. It is necessary
to use the staff list (top score and top part).
For others expressions (nuances, sordini, pizz,...), I generallu use
note-attached expressions (exept in the situation described by Robert).

Odile Gruet