[Liudas Motekaitis:]

>>I pressed some combination of keys while working. It was ALT+  something.
>>Maybe a finger slipped. I had two .MUS documents open. Hadn't saved in a
>>while (maybe 8-10 minutes). After doing this mystery command Finale was
>>gone. Without a trace. Upon running the program again, my file was not even
>>in the list of previously opened and saved files, even though it was saved
>>8-10 minutes ago. Very scarry indeed.

[Noel Stoutenburg:]

>My guess is that you moved the cursor outside the Finale workspace, and pressed
>the combinatuion ALT+F4, which I understnd to be a windows command from the
>Operating system to shut down the system from the outside, so as far as FIN is
>concerned it experience and abnormal termination.

     I would find it very surprising if it was this, actually.  Alt-F4 does
close down the active window, but if a file is unsaved in that program, a prompt
is given first asking if you want to save the file before the program is closed,
just like closing the program in any other way.
     In other words, Alt-F4 is just a normal closing of the program - *not* an
abnormal termination.  If Finale normally gives a prompt asking if you want to
save unsaved files before quitting, it should have done so when closed with
Alt-F4 also.
     Whether the cursor had been moved outside of the Finale window shouldn't
have made any difference to this, although moving the cursor and then clicking
the mouse might make *another* window active, which then might be terminated by
Alt-F4 instead.  That doesn't appear to be what happened here, though.
     If such a situation occurred with me, I would, like Liudas, find that very
irregular, and, yes, a bit scary.  But I would assume that maybe Finale had
crashed and terminated irregularly; or else (just possibly) that the operating
system had partially crashed, so that it caused the termination of Finale but
continued operating itself.  Either way, it doesn't seem to be normal behaviour.
     I have had Windows partly crash on occasion, so that it keeps running in a
fashion, but with certain things going wrong; however, more usually either just
one program crashes - usually freezes completely - or else the entire computer
freezes.  A partial crash of the operating system of this sort would be very
unusual, and it seems to me the cause is likely to be a shortage of either empty
disk space or memory.
     In any case, whatever the cause, I would completely reboot the computer
before resuming work on any important operation.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.