On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 10:57 AM, Richard Huggins wrote:

While technically speaking this is a correct statement, I wouldn't agree
that it should be avoided except for such cases. I personally use the
stacked appearance because I find it much faster to read as a performer.

But Richard, this:

---
 F#

... doesn't mean the same thing as this:

C/F#

The former may be easier to read, but that's irrelevant -- they are two completely different chords. C7 is easier to read than C∆ (#9, #5), but I can't just arbitrarily decide that I want the former symbol to stand in for the latter in my music. (Or, well, I could, of course, but that would be ridiculous.)

If you want vertical separation between a chord and an alternate bass note, you can do something like this:

 /

... which is tricker to set up in Finale, but can definitely be done if you want it. But you definitely need to keep the diagonal slash.

The way I look
at it, too, is that occurances of a true polytonal chord are rare enough so
as not to be worth giving up the benefit of the stacked chord.

This is not my experience at all, and I can assure you that every player I know would object to using vertically stacked symbols to indicate an alternate bass. Chord nomenclature is already ambiguous enough without deliberately using symbols which traditionally mean the opposite of what you really want.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"