The publishers of this genre offer supplementary charts for everything from
rhythm sections to full orchestrations. On the lead sheets (the only charts
that would have symbols) they may or may not follow the vertical
convention...I just don't see those charts enough to notice. But their
octavos use vertically-stacked chords, and these often are used by guitar
and bass players when the church doesn't buy the other charts or on music
for which such charts aren't available.

There are many evangelical music publishers, so if I said "all" I clearly
shouldn't have. I checked several examples in my own library, however, and
saw them using vertical stacks. Given the small size of octavos, every
millimeter of space counts, and the vertically-stacked chords make a big
difference in that regard.

And frankly, I prefer them for ease of reading. But, to each his own.

RH