[Keith:]

>I once had a book of instumental exercises for trombone, with key sigs which
>had me stumped for a while- (I was only a teenager!) For instance, one
>actual printed key sig was EbAb Bnat! Turned out to be C minor. Also Bb, Eb,
>F#, (G minor),  Bb, Ab, Db, Enat. (Fminor) and the first one in the book, G#
>(alone!) = Amin. Very bizarre!
>All minor keys were indicated in the key sig! Certainly no confusion with
>major keys.
>Never seen it before or since, but it does make sense, and is quite
>inmistakeable.

     It would take a bit of getting used to - but, yes, it might be good, as
long as the music didn't use too many notes affected by accidentals.

>Any other sightings? Regards, Keith inOZ

     Yes: Piano Sonata by Alexander Jemnitz (I know nothing about him, except
possibly that he was Hungarian).  It has three movements, each with a different
key signature, and not a *single* accidental in the entire sonata, so that the
music conforms entirely to the key signature.  The key signatures for the last
two movements are conventional ones, but the first movement's key signature is
just G#.
     The music moves freely (harmonically and melodically) through all 7 notes,
so it is not really A minor.  The chords themselves are very unusual and
complex - not just triads, 7ths, and so on.
     For that matter, the other movements are freely diatonic, with no chromatic
notes or modulation - but not really either major or minor in the usual sense,
nor modal either (or in all modes).  Isn't "pandiatonic" a word that's sometimes
used to describe that?
     Strange music, really - not very approachable - and very difficult to play,
with lots of passages where the hands cross or fingers of the two hands almost
intertwine with one another to produce spiky, intricate textures.
     Just one of those oddities I've found over the years in shops selling
second-hand music.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.