At 7:12 AM 05/30/03, Michael Edwards wrote:

>     The difference here is that, at least for a living composer, you can
>go and
>ask him about any dubious points; but you can't do that with Gounod now.  You
>*have* to make certain decisions without his help or agreement.

I only edit works in the public domain, so all of the composers I edit are
long dead.

>     I'm trying to ignore my ingrained feelings on such matters, and thinking
>about it from your point of view and your audience's point of view.  I
>guess, if
>it is appearing as your edition of the piece, it's okay to do the things you've
>mentioned.

I guess part of my own ingrained feelings is that it irks me to imply there
is any question at all of whether it is "okay" to do what I do. I'm making
an edition of a work in the public domain. I could re-arrange it all to
hell if I want to and the composer can't say boo. His original edition is
out there, and if the piece was a success it's probably readily available
to anyone who wants to see it. I do sometimes make adaptations to make a
piece work in a concert setting or with different voice parts.  But whether
I'm adapting or not, as a general rule my goal is not to misrepresent the
composer. If I'm editing the piece it's because I like it and I want to
communicate the composer's intentions better, not worse.

What ticks me off -- and perhaps I'm being oversensitive here -- is all
this discussion about whether I ought to be allowed to defile the composers
intentions in such a way. (As if the original edition is a true reflection
of what the composer wanted anyway -- have you seen any original editions
of Donizetti? Halevy? They're a terrible mess.)

>     Given your situation, and that you explain in the score the changes you've
>made, at least briefly, this is, I suppose acceptable.  If I were doing this, I
>would also put "edited by..." on the title page (perhaps you've done that
>anyway).

You suppose that it's acceptable?  Gee, thanks.  This is what I'm talking
about in the paragraph before.

As for putting "edited by" on the title page, no actually I don't do that,
because I think that would be presumptuous.  If I'm adapting a piece in
some way, then yes, I do claim my share of the credit. But if all I've done
is clean up the notation to make it more readable, that's a clerical task
and I think I would be out of line to announce myself as a creative
participant.

>     Something purporting to be the composer's unedited manuscript probably
>shouldn't do this, though.

I'm not purporting anything. I'm just providing a usable and readable copy
of a piece which singers might not otherwise have access to. There is no
question of any "manuscript" here.

mdl