At 2:12 AM 05/30/03, Michael Edwards wrote:

>     I hope my arguments have not been taken as stronger or more general than I
>intended them to be.  Careful notation is, to me, so much a part of the total
>compositional process (although not necessarily a very early part of it) that I
>just took it for granted that other composers would feel similarly.  My musical
>background is thoroughly classical, with a good grounding in theory, so I take
>proper notation for granted, as much as good writers take proper spelling and
>grammar for granted.

Of the two composers I had in mind, one is not well educated in classical
music, though he is eager to learn.  The other has a very strong classical
background, and she could notate all her music "properly" if she cared to
take the trouble. But she is not a visual-minded person. For her, music is
all about the sound; the written score is not the music at all, but only
the written record of it, and the only reason to write it down at all is so
that the other players will know how to play it.