I'm using a Roland PC-300 MIDI controller connected by USB to my Mac. This setup works fine for all purposes under OS9, including Finale input, and for most purposes under OS X as well. The thing is, I would like from time to time to be able to use the computer as a sound module directly under OS X -- i.e. to play something on the keyboard and to hear it from the computer using whatever Soundfont is selected in the QuickTime preferences. I've tried a couple of applications (iPiano, SynthTest) which basically patch the keyboard directly into QuickTime, but they use only the standard QuickTime sounds, regardless of what SoundFont is selected in the QT settings. I know the SoundFonts work, because QuickTIme Player uses them for playback. I also tried a Max patch with a midiin patched straight into a midiout -- but unlike in OS9, Max for OS X doesn't seem to recognise QuickTime as an output.

So, does anybody know if it's possible to patch an external MIDI keyboard directly into QuickTime, and have it use the selected SoundFont? (It would be nice if Apple's "Audio MIDI Setup" utility recognised QT as an output, so that you could just patch it in, but it doesn't.)

(BTW, I *can* do this by using the Sibelius demo -- but this is cumbersome, and of course, it notates everything you play, which I don't need.)

Thanks

John