Like some of you, I use Finale to help with arranging as well. I have gotten to the point where the cheesy sound from GM is no longer accceptable for auditioning my score.

I am trying to upgrade my system so I can get an accurate portrayal of how the score would actually sound. This would normally mean to start with Finale, make a MIDI file, and then feed it thru a performance package. There are two approaches:

(1) Hardware: Buy a very expensive sampler, and use a sequencer to feed a Midi file into it. Then listen to and do a mix of the result.

(2) Software: Upgrade my computer so it can handle sampling software (I have been told I need at least a 1 Ghz CPU, and more than 256 MB of RAM). Basically, this will convert my existing computer into a sampler. One such product is GigaStudio.

I was wondering if there is a third approach that would merely make a WAV file in the computer from a MIDI file, then I could simply play that back. If it's done offline, then computer speed and memory wouldn't be a limiting factor. The disadvantage is in the latent time it needs to do the off-line processing. Plus, I have to keep adjusting the mix every time it does the processing. But this may be something I can live with for the time being.

Any comments on your personal experiences would be sincerely appreciated.

Tammy G.